High school students or full time enrolled undergraduate college students. Students must be in good standing at their respective high school, college or university, and must be Canadian or United States citizens. Applicants can be either dependent or non-dependent students. Dependent students defined as those who receive support from parents or guardians.
To apply for the scholarship, you can fill out our online form:
Alternatively, an application form must be completed, submitted and postmarked, along with additional biographical and academic information.
Scott McCalla & Awards Committee
North East Association of Rail Shippers
P.O. Box 782, Rutland, VT 05702
Phone: (802) 779-1413
The scholarship can also be applied for on the NEARS Website. All applications must be received, or postmarked if mailed, by June 30th, 2021.
Awards will be determined and announced by August 31st, 2021
North East Association of Rail Shippers Scholarships require the following information:
Applications will not be accepted unless completed in full and either submitted electronically by email, through the NEARS website, or postmarked (if mailed) by July 16th, 2021.
- A completed application
- A short essay describing your current and future goals, and how this scholarship may help you achieve these goals
- A copy of your Academic Transcript, including high school and any classes you have taken in college
- A copy of your SAT or ACT scores. These are required for incoming freshmen applying for this scholarship, and optional for college sophomores, juniors and seniors applying for this scholarship. However, due to Covid-19, if you are an incoming freshman and were not able to take a SAT or ACT test, we will waive this requirement.
- 3 Letters of Recommendation. One letter must be from a paid, active, registered member of the North East Association of Rail Shippers. The other two letters can be from anyone that knows the applicant well and can write on behalf of the student. Possible sources could be, but are not limited to: teachers/professors, counselors, employers, and coaches.
- A list of activities that may include employment, volunteerism, sports, and other extracurricular type activities
- Please feel free to include any other information that the Scholarship Committee should consider.
Scholarship recipients will be selected according to merit on a competitive basis, based on the application and information that are received.
Students previously awarded a scholarship must re-apply again for consideration of this year’s scholarships. Students previously awarded a scholarship and re-applying this year, must have complied with the previous year’s award requirement to provide 2-3 progress updates through-out the previous academic year (see below).
The NEARS Board has authorized at least 5 separate awards to be given for a total of $5,000. The Board can also authorize additional awards and funds at their discretion. The Board will meet to decide on the scholarship amounts, which will be at least $500/award. Funds will be sent directly to the award recipient, and not the college.
Scholarship recipients are completely responsible for making admission arrangements and fulfilling all requirements of the school selected, which must be a college or university in the United States or Canada, or an affiliate thereof abroad, which is fully accredited by its regional accrediting commission on higher education. The recipient must enter college as a student in the fall term following selection and must pursue a course of study leading to one of the traditional degrees. Scholarship recipients are expected to make normal academic progress from year to year and must remain in good academic and disciplinary standing. While honor grades are not required, scholarship recipients have a responsibility to do quality work in college.
Scholarship recipients must understand and accept the responsibility that they will be required to provide at least 2 progress updates throughout the academic year, to the Scholarship Awards Committee. Updates should include information on GPA and a short briefing of academic activities. Failure to provide those updates will result in ineligibility to apply again the following year.
Successful applicants will receive the award via check to the personal address provided on the application unless other arrangements are made.